Business for Freelance Designers
This online, zoom-based course will cover the ins and outs of setting up your own business, working as a freelancer under the new and changing tax codes, negotiating skills, and other parts of our life that are not generally covered in designer training.
As with ALL Studio School of Design ONLINE Courses, each session will be videotaped and shared with participants for a limited time in case you can not attend a specific session.
Studio School Courses are open to participants from around the world.
This course will consist of Six (6) 2 ½-hour Sessions meeting on Wednesdays from July 6-August 10 7pm-9:30pm, UTC-4 (EDT).
This course is designed for theatrical designers in all disciplines and at all stages of their career
Amith Chandrashaker and Guests
Photo: Fairview at the Soho Rep, Scenic Design by Mimi Lien, Costume Design by Montana Levi Blanco, Lighting by faculty member Amith Chandrashaker, Pictured: MaYaa Boateng as Keisha, Photograph by Julieta Cervantes
- July 6: 7pm – 9:30pm UTC-4 (EDT):Introduction to the Course and Employment status (independent contractor vs employee) and intellectual property vs. Work for Hire
- July 13: 7pm – 9:30pm UTC-4 (EDT): Contracts and collective bargaining agreements, Negotiating Skills and Hiring an Agent
- July 20 : 7pm – 9:30pm UTC-4 (EDT): Financial record keeping and special financial issues that come up for us as freelancers
- July 27: 7pm – 9:30pm UTC-4 (EDT): Branding yourself as a designer – resumes, social media presence, and websites
- August 3: 7pm – 9:30pm UTC-4 (EDT): Knowing your worth
- August 10: 8pm-10pm UTC-4 (EDT): Benefits: healthcare, saving for Retirement, and other life events; You as a Business (LLCs, Corporations, and Design Firms)
Scholarship support for this course has been made possible by donations from generous supporters of the Studio School of Design. Please become a supporter today to help us continue to achieve our community’s mission to make our profession stronger through knowledge, access and belonging.