photo by Rosalie O’Connor
I want to attend an online course, but I can’t make all of the sessions!
No problem. We record all of our online-classes and make those recordings available to everyone who has signed up.
How do you price your course offerings?
We offer all of our courses basically at the cost of holding them. We are a not-for-profit community-based organization. We believe in pay equity and pay our faculty at a standardized rate.
Who are you?
- We are a registered 501c3 charity organization. We are a group of designer/educators from the wide ranging fields of theatrical and entertainment design, including architecture, and the concert & themed entertainment industries.
Can I donate to support the school?
Yes, please!! We need help to offer scholarships and to help build our programs for young people and arts educators. Donations to the Studio School of Design are fully tax deductible in the US according to the law.
Why are you doing this?
- Three reasons:
- 1) We see the need for a new kind of learning. Our industry is changing and developing all the time, and our work as designers is always expanding and developing. We believe in life-long learning.
- 2) We want to broaden the access points to our industry. This year, we are beginning to offer classes for young people to introduce them the possibilities of the industry while they are H.S age. With your support, we are hoping to offer these courses for no or very reduced fees.We believe that rebalancing the entertainment design profession’s diversity and equity balance is urgent.
- 3) We see the need for H.S. and College teachers to be able to introduce their students to the world of entertainment design. We are beginning the development of teacher training programs and forums for design. This year, we are working to hold a 2 day workshop with H.S. educators in Title 1 schools in NY and NJ, and a 1-day forum for college and university professors from across U.S. Our hope is to offer this at scale in the future to both US and non-US educators.
Where are you located and how are you handling Covid restrictions?
The school is centered in New York City, however, in addition to NY based courses, we offer online classes to people from all around the world (so far people from 15 countries have joined us as students. All in-person classes at Studio School of Design currently require a proof of vaccination.
Each course is different. The range for all sessions within one course is: $0-$800.
- All of our classes will be low-cost. We are actively seeking funding sources all the time to subsidize the cost of tuition so that cost is never a barrier to our classes.
- We also offer fee reductions based on need:
Do you offer Scholarships or tuition reduction?
- A key component of the Studio School of Design is our ability to offer low cost or no cost training to individuals who will help us create an entertainment design community that reflects the global majority and who can show economic need.
How do I apply for a course?
- Fill out the information on the course registration page at each course listing.
How do I get more information?
- You can contact us directly with your question by filling in the form at the bottom of this page. Sign up for our mailing list and we’ll keep you in the loop as information goes live.
What courses do you have planned for the future?
- We are always working on expanding our curriculur offerings. Is there a course that you would like to take? Please let us know and we can talk about it.
I have some ideas for some new courses!
- That’s amazing! We’re always looking for creative ideas for the needs of the community. Please contact us here and let us know about your ideas.